Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Hotel Dunsmuir


Originally named, “The Weed Hotel,” The Hotel Dunsmuir was built in the 1920’s by Abner Weed. Many of the railroad employees at the time referred affectionately to the Dunsmuir Hotel as the “Upside Down Hotel” because the entrance on Dunsmuir Avenue brought you into the lobby on the top floor!

After a fire burned the building, it was reconstructed in the 1940’s Art Deco style, seen today. The renovations were wrapped around the original brick building. The hotel reopened in 1947 and was patronized by affluent tourists and famous people. Dunsmuir was known as the most populous city north of Sacramento and visitors craved its culture, healing waters, and idyllic setting.

After almost 100 years, the restoration process continues.  Each room is uniquely themed with a full kitchen, sitting room, bedroom and bathroom. Walking distance to downtown shops and museums, the railroad depot, restaurants, the Hotel Dunsmuir is the prime location to enjoy Dunsmuir’s pure water, natural beauty and all this city has to offer!

3 comments:

  1. I lved there with my wife and 4 kids(at the time)..I thought it was a very unique place..the 1st floor was at the top and the thied floor was at the bottom..we could see the entire railroad yard from our window..less than a 5 minute walk to downtown..an experience I would like to enjoy once more before I die..I so loved to live in the mount shasta area..such beautiful country..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a couple of typos..I forgot to proof read before I posted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Information incorrect... Hotel Weed is on Sacramento Ave, behind this hotel. It was built in 1906 by Abner Weed. Across the street was the train station. Thanks,

    ReplyDelete